1% For the Planet’s August 2015 Newsletter was dedicated to Water and the Environment. The Blue Needs You to Make Waves Water campaign was also launched to take place from August 27th – September 10th. GERAS joined the incredible network action focused on water quality and access. The campaign was committed to creating greater environmental awareness and action around this important topic, amplifying the amazing work network partners are doing every day.
Our planet needs us to:
• Reduce plastic use. Use only what you need, and avoid using plastic when you can.
• Give a dam. The science is indisputable. Connectivity and cleanliness support healthy ecosystems, sustainable food sources and wildlife.
• Live on the edge. Walk along the beach, coastline, riverbank and lakeshore and leave it better than how you found it.
• Worship your water. Have a less water intensive meal like a Meatless Monday dinner party.
Did you know?
• 748 million people don’t have clean water readily available and need to walk miles a day for clean water
• In some major urban areas, up to 30% of water is lost through leaky, outdated pipes
• Our big blue planet is 70% water
• Humans are more than 50% water
• There is a garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas
You can do something to have immediate positive impact on water access and quality. Small changes add up! It’s the power of 1: 1 person, 1 action to create a ripple to a wave.
GERAS joined the network in making some waves! And here is our poster created to this effect.